Author Topic: CA M249 vs CA M15 A4 or similar  (Read 778 times)

Offline Bagger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private First Class
    • View Profile
CA M249 vs CA M15 A4 or similar
« on: August 08, 2006, 11:21:11 PM »
I'm trying to decide which AEG to purchase.  I like the idea of the M249, based, but I may be making a mistake considering it based on its real steel characteristics.

I don't have the luxury of visiting an airsoft dealer, so will probably order off the 'net.    This means I can't do a side by side comparison of these guns.

What I'm trying to figure out, is what makes the M249 worth pretty much twice the investment over the M15 or similar (both CA)?  In reading reviews, they both seem to have similar internals, firing rates, FPS, and upgrade possibilities.  So what makes the M249 worth the extra $4-600?

~ bagger
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Bagger »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 11:30:36 PM »
Well, first, that's a pretty big step between the two.

If I were you, I'd get the M4 but pretend like you bought the SAW. Spend the rest of the money on GOOD gear. Get a radio, get good mags, get some nice gear. Having a SAW as your only (and I'm guessing first) gun would be suck.

The 249 has a PGC style gearbox, which is really ideal for high cycle operation. The V2 gearbox is real weak, mechanically, when it comes to that kind of stuff. Also, the 249 has a lot more going on, comes with a box mag, so on and so forth.

Buy a Classic Army M15A4 CQB. $415

Buy 8 (maybe 9) Tokyo Marui 68rd Standard Magazines. 8 @ $22 = $176

Buy two Gonzo crane stock batteries. $90

Buy 1 ICOM F4S from www.reddogradios.com (call him and say you're from Arizona) with an extra battery, a Pryme handmic/headset. $150 (I believe) + 30

Buy a Weesatch/Wasatch or spend a little more and get something nicer.  $120 on up

Buy a hydration setup. $50

You could do all that for about what a CA SAW costs delivered.

If by some miracle there's something left over from your budget -- buy some nice M-Frames.

That's like $1,030, which is like what a SAW would be once you got it ready to play. You could do some stuff cheaper, less mags, or King Arms (fine, I have some), maybe an Infinity Tactical chest rig from Jungletoy...those seem OK.

PM me if you need anymore help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Bagger

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:02:46 AM »
Thanks for the detailed information.  I've got a decent set up as far as operator gear, and know how to gear up for various ops.

My main concern in this topic is to figure out the value of an M249 AEG, which I think you shed some light on here(though I'm not sure what it means):
The 249 has a PGC style gearbox, which is really ideal for high cycle operation. The V2 gearbox is real weak, mechanically, when it comes to that kind of stuff. Also, the 249 has a lot more going on, comes with a box mag, so on and so forth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Bagger »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 12:04:56 AM »
The value is that it not only has a lot of high quality parts (they're really quite nice), it's got a PGC gearbox, which is bigger, thicker and stronger. By high cycle, I mean lots of sustained firing. PGC is Perversity Guns Corporation, they made conversions for the TOP M60 gearbox, and the CA249 uses the same style.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu