Author Topic: Rifled Airsoft Barrel????  (Read 2144 times)

Offline KOBO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
The limitation that we place on the speed is based on the impact force created. Since there is different BB weight just a description of speed does not keep things safe. 400 FPS is a lot different force with .25s then .20s.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by KOBO »

Offline Whiskey11

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »
Quote from: "azstang66"
Quote from: "Vince"
, at velocities over 1 joule,

How do you have a "velocity of 1 joule"?  Velocity is a measure of magnitude and direction, or distance traveled per time, where a joule is a measure of work done, or force per unit length.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to state velocities above X-ft/s  or energies over X-joules...?

Ok, then velocities over 328 fps w/ .2's or 100 meters per second w/ .2's and energies above 1 J... a lot of airsofters can make the transition between the two on little thinking (at least those who have played a while i guess i should say).  Maybe its just me but when people say 1J i instantly think 328 fps w/ .2's or an M100 Spring (which is 100 meters per second w/ .2's) or 120% spring which is roughly a 1J spring.  If we are going to be that picky then all FPS's should also have the weight of bb's since muzzle energies are different with different weights of bb's at a said FPS.  1J is 1J, however 400 fps can be numerous different energy levels depending on the weight of bb used.

Not to mention i've read some papers on projectile theory that rate velocities as measured in joules (as in a velocitiy at 1J of energy).

For some reason i doubt you'll notice much difference between a twist barrel and a stock one at our current limits.  I highly doubt that it will make enough of a difference to warrent buying one.  A tightbore would do you just as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Whiskey11 »

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 02:11:54 PM »
Quote from: "Whiskey11"
Quote from: "azstang66"
Quote from: "Vince"
, at velocities over 1 joule,

How do you have a "velocity of 1 joule"?  Velocity is a measure of magnitude and direction, or distance traveled per time, where a joule is a measure of work done, or force per unit length.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to state velocities above X-ft/s  or energies over X-joules...?

Ok, then velocities over 328 fps w/ .2's or 100 meters per second w/ .2's and energies above 1 J... a lot of airsofters can make the transition between the two on little thinking (at least those who have played a while i guess i should say).  Maybe its just me but when people say 1J i instantly think 328 fps w/ .2's or an M100 Spring (which is 100 meters per second w/ .2's) or 120% spring which is roughly a 1J spring.  If we are going to be that picky then all FPS's should also have the weight of bb's since muzzle energies are different with different weights of bb's at a said FPS.  1J is 1J, however 400 fps can be numerous different energy levels depending on the weight of bb used.

Not to mention i've read some papers on projectile theory that rate velocities as measured in joules (as in a velocitiy at 1J of energy).

For some reason i doubt you'll notice much difference between a twist barrel and a stock one at our current limits.  I highly doubt that it will make enough of a difference to warrent buying one.  A tightbore would do you just as well.

I guess another reason is I want to increase performance without necessarily adding additional stress to the gearbox. I understand that the reality of airsoft is that a gun that shoots near 400fps is going to perform better than a stock AEG with all these twisted barrel doodads. But I'd like to try to use a stock gun, alter my tactics, but get better range and grouping without resorting to changing out the spring.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by deathbydanish »
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline TheStenGun

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 05:03:52 PM »
Well if you are leaving you gun stock then go for it, as it is said to be the best way to get the most out of sub 1 joule guns.  I think a rifled barrel with Tanio Kobia's name on it just has a "cool" factor all its own, too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TheStenGun »