Author Topic: CA Gear Reliability  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Gauge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
CA Gear Reliability
« on: December 29, 2006, 08:22:30 PM »
For the stock gears on a CA ver. 2 gear box has anyone had problems with them breaking down after adding internal upgrades? I've got a CA Super High Speed Motor and Systema 120 spring added in to a stock CA Ver. 2 gearbox with a 9.6 Intellect Battery. With the stock motor and the 120 spring the 9.6 batt had the gearbox putting through about 23 rounds per second. Not too sure if the gears will be a problem with the CA upgraded motor.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gauge »
Team Saguaro

Offline babybackribs

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 10:51:15 PM »
What kind of gun is it and when did you get it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by babybackribs »

Religion is a joke.

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 11:01:22 AM »
I'd heard that CA had to use a different set of gears for recent batches of AEGs. I'm not sure if they're up to the usual CA standards, that could be the problem with yours because CA gears usually are pretty good.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by deathbydanish »
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline Zealot

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 05:01:46 PM »
I own 2 CA's and played with many and i have never had a problem with their gears.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Zealot »
A \'touchy-feelie\' CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine sniper,asked,    
\"What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist.\"
The Marine shrugged and replied, \"Recoil.\"

Offline pilz

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://AMSOG.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »
I have had 2 CA CQB's and never had a problems with their gears, and one of them is pulling a m120. Also I only had trouble with one, it was the sector gear on a B&T mp5 sd5, i got it in a trade, and fired 2000 rounds or so, then it broke, after that i dropped a guarder sp110 and never had a problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by pilz »
No longer airsofts... what a shame.

Offline PolandsLeftTesticle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:49:57 PM »
- Uh... While we're on the subject, I have a CA AK-74. When I fire in semi-auto faster than two shots per second, the gears seem to lock up. You can't fire in semi- anymore, but some technique I developed that is most likely not good for my gun is switching to full-auto, firing, and switching back to semi- and hoping it works. I usually have to repeat these steps a few times before it works once more on semi-. Should this be happening? Is there a way to fix it?

\PLT
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PolandsLeftTesticle »
Quote from: \"SHIHAN\"
I never knew that three inches was the minimum length for a handgun barrel. I guess all of the anti-gun politicians wont be able to register their penises.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 10:22:44 PM »
That's a version three thing. I get that problem too, well, got, when I had an AK.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 11:43:33 PM »
I've had it happen to all of the guns I've owned, which have all been version 2 gearboxes.  Not sure why it happens, but yeah, firing on auto seems to clear it up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline pilz

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 11:31:33 PM »
I have had a m120 in my CQB for about a month or so, and my piston has finaly died, the last 3 teeth are completly gone, So i deicded to get a deepfire full tooth piston insted. This is just an update on this, my gears look as if they were new, the only thing that shows wear besides the piston, is the pinion gear, there is some wear, but not enought to worry about.

Offline babybackribs

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 01:25:09 AM »
Quote from: "pilz"
I have had a m120 in my CQB for about a month or so, and my piston has finaly died, the last 3 teeth are completly gone, So i deicded to get a deepfire full tooth piston insted. This is just an update on this, my gears look as if they were new, the only thing that shows wear besides the piston, is the pinion gear, there is some wear, but not enought to worry about.

The reason that the teeth are gone on your piston is because the sector gear was contacting them before the cycle ended, since the CQB has such a high rate of fire.  And you forgot that the bevel gear had wear on it too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by babybackribs »

Religion is a joke.

Offline pilz

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 02:31:29 AM »
Quote from: "babybackribs"
Quote from: "pilz"
The reason that the teeth are gone on your piston is because the sector gear was contacting them before the cycle ended, since the CQB has such a high rate of fire.  And you forgot that the bevel gear had wear on it too.

My bad... I doubt the gears will fail anytime soon, but if they do prometheus gears are the best replacement I can think of. Once i get my deepfire in a few days, I will have it installed, then hopfully no more piston breakage.
Update, When I was installing my new cylinder into my CQB's gearbox, I noticed tiny chips in the bevel gears teeth, and it is missing a tooth, this may be because only of my ball bearings came out and I found it in my gearbox a few hours later after fully inspecting it. I got a set of prometheus standard ratio gears installed today, and my deepfire isn't here yet, and I haven't put my new tightbore in, Once i get my deepfire in a day or 2 It should be good.

Offline Green4Ever

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 03:41:51 PM »
I just got a CA 25 It seems to be good "out of the box", does any one have any suggestions as to impove the fps, I am easily shooting 10 shots in a 1 1/2 inch group, no scope from 100ft I am fairly new to the sport, and don't know to much about the inner workings of AEG's yet, though I asume gearing -- gearbox-- has a lot to do with fps, correct me if Im wrong though. I know a 9.6 battery helps to allready picked one of those up, is it possible to get a CA25 shooting at 500fps? reliable shooting at 500fps? how much is it gonna cost parts wise ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Green4Ever »
\"To Each His Own\" -- As long as you don\'t tread on me!

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »
Well, the gearbox has everything to do with the velocity of the AEG because it contains the main spring. The actual gears themselves control the torque and speed of the gearbox, like in a transmission. The voltage and discharge rate of the battery factor into the rate of fire along with the gearing, but does nothing to raise the velocity.

It's possible to get like, probably any AEG shooting 500 FPS, but, as you said, you're new to the sport, so, I don't recommend it. On top of requiring a pretty much complete gearbox overhaul (Probably $300-$400 to do it somewhat right), having an AEG shooting that hot requires the kind of judgment only gained through playing.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline GUNFIGHTER6

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 04:37:13 PM »
Any AEG shooting 500 fps unless its semi-auto only would be way to hot for any AA games.  The max is only 400 fps so I would set that as your limit, not 500.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by GUNFIGHTER6 »

1st Special Operations Rapid Deployment Company - Airsoft Team

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »
Quote from: "GUNFIGHTER6"
Any AEG shooting 500 fps unless its semi-auto only would be way to hot for any AA games.  The max is only 400 fps so I would set that as your limit, not 500.

As is the real KAC SR-25, the Classic Army CA-25 is semi auto only.