Author Topic: How "fun" is your workplace?  (Read 3360 times)

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
How "fun" is your workplace?
« on: September 27, 2007, 03:06:39 PM »
It's interesting to see the differences in companies and their perspective on having fun while at work.  For example, back when I worked at Fry's despite being right by the software department and having to listen to Shakira or other crap all day long we weren't allowed to play our own music in the department because it might offend customers?  WTF?

At my previous employer we had cube wars (Nerf balls, bean bags, etc).  This was frowned upon by most of upper management, so we just did it when they weren't around.  Plus the one VP on our floor was usually the person who started it.  But, they were picky about you surfing the web, setting your own wallpaper, etc.

On the other hand at my current job I thought they were playing a joke on me (because I'm one of only 2 gamers in the company) when they told me we were getting an Xbox.  I was wrong.  I just finished hooking up our company purchased XBox 360 Elite to our 50" HP 1080p LCD TV.  We are also getting a bumper pool table and a "putting green" in our break room.  I spent my lunch laying on a leather couch at work playing Rainbow 6: Vegas.  Sweet.

How fun (or not) is your workplace?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by XavierMace »

Offline Kilo11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/Darklighterstheory
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »
All i have to say is, what company do you work for and do they have openings?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kilo11 »
Quote from: \"Pheonix 797\"

Anywho, good luck and remember Airsoft is about safety and integrity. If you make us look bad we hunt you  \":lol:\"

1st Squad, Marines, Allied Forces, Op Bulldog II

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:45:01 PM »
My workplace is pretty fun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline SimplisticMindz

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:35:21 PM »
Well, you got me beat, although I did just get ok'd to buy a foosball table and mini b-ball hoop on the company dime. So now we have, "Foosball -Tournament of Champions " everyday at lunch.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SimplisticMindz »
\"And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be…â€￾

Offline PHX COBRA

• Captain
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 05:54:50 PM »
It is not fun.
We have coffee and water.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PHX COBRA »

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »
I get to work with fun things such as extreme heat & cold, strong acids, bases and everyone's favorite mustard gas.  I'll just leave it at that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »
We get to see chicks flash the players every now and then... and of course the girls in miniskirts in the front two-three rows :D

Plus our usual shennanigans.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Dust2Dust »

Offline TheStenGun

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 07:28:10 PM »
I have been yelling at children to stop hitting each other at lunch. That's pretty fun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TheStenGun »

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 09:02:47 PM »
Quote from: "TheStenGun"
I have been yelling at children to stop hitting each other at lunch. That's pretty fun.

And that was just Joseph and Cam!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:05:25 PM »
Its not that fun, so I'm starting to play pranks on some of my co-workers to kill time. If I find a whole bunch of promotional CDs I'll take them and leave them on someone's desk. Or I'll randomly shut off one of the servers or reset passwords at random when I get really bored.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by deathbydanish »
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:08:13 PM »
Well, you got me beat, although I did just get ok'd to buy a foosball table and mini b-ball hoop on the company dime. So now we have, "Foosball -Tournament of Champions " everyday at lunch.

We pondered a fooseball table, but decided it would be too loud.  A mini b-ball hoop would be awesome.

Its not that fun, so I'm starting to play pranks on some of my co-workers to kill time. If I find a whole bunch of promotional CDs I'll take them and leave them on someone's desk. Or I'll randomly shut off one of the servers or reset passwords at random when I get really bored.

Those sorts of things can easily be used to amuse you and your friends.  My personal preference is a love letter from one male coworker to another.  Laughing at the victims can easily brighten up a whole week, maybe more.  Just make sure your whole team get's BCC'd on it.

If you do tech support, another is to have a friend outside of work call in and act like the biggest retard and see how long your co-workers can keep their cool.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by XavierMace »

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 11:14:44 PM »
Quote from: "-MAD- SARGE"
I get to work with fun things such as extreme heat & cold, strong acids, bases and everyone's favorite mustard gas.  I'll just leave it at that.

Are you a pool man too? :lol:
Well my work seems pretty borning at times. Customers can be very interesting in scottsdale. Heat temp is usualy what bothers me the most.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline Uchiha Itachi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:51:50 PM »
Quote from: "XavierMace"
Those sorts of things can easily be used to amuse you and your friends.  My personal preference is a love letter from one male coworker to another.  Laughing at the victims can easily brighten up a whole week, maybe more.  Just make sure your whole team get's BCC'd on it.

I did that once I at my old job. My boss went on vacation and I was left in charge of the stock room. My coworkers were a 40 year old drugged out hippie and a store manager in training. Before they met each other  I explained how INCREDIBLY gay the other was since I was sick of their sh*t and complaining.  Then sent both to work all the way in the back alone. They did like 7 hours worths of work in 3 in dead silence. Forgot to mention both were extreme homophobes. Both came out freaking out.

Now I just deal with incredible incompetence and super aggressive dogs. I have learned that animal rights people are BY FAR the most retarded people alive. They complain about my zero tolerance policy with pitbulls and biters yet complain to me when they get bit by the very dogs I had locked up. Or asking why I don't wrap the dogs pills in chicken...for a dog allergic to chicken....I've got like a million idiot stories of them.

So if watching idiots get bitten is a fun time then yes. I have a very fun time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Uchiha Itachi »

Offline Bullseye

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »
Our area is pretty cool. Although we don't have the foosball tables and XBox's, we do have a full gym....
Fridays, following USAF "tradition", is Hawaiian Shirt day. Beatrs not having a "casual day" like some places I've worked. The contractor I work for has a quarterly "energy" day/night out - usually a picnic/outing of some sort. We've done minor league baseball games, dinner theatres, and the like - all on the company dime.

We're even talking about a paintball game - lame, but a start ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Bullseye »
Field Cmdr, Fatal Exception

He who dies with the most toys...
... is still dead. http://www.tucsoncoalition.com http://www.teamfe0.com

Offline Kilo11

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/Darklighterstheory
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 10:16:34 AM »
I work in a library, theirs a limit on the fun meter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kilo11 »
Quote from: \"Pheonix 797\"

Anywho, good luck and remember Airsoft is about safety and integrity. If you make us look bad we hunt you  \":lol:\"

1st Squad, Marines, Allied Forces, Op Bulldog II