Author Topic: GAS MASK?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 04:03:26 PM »
I have a mask (and used it a a game in 2001or02 before I knew any better) but I think this is heading a bit too far into the mil sim than I think is nessisary right now.

Gotta walk before we can run.

I do admit that NBC training has relevancy to our current situation, but to do it properly would take a lot of money. The most recent NBC atacks using chlorine gas in VBIEDs realy didnt have much gun fighting involved, and I dont play airsoft to be some 74D or 42R9G (like airsofter1).

BH proved that we need to focus more on organization, weapon placement and use of heavy weapons. And get better at this, than jumping to fighting with NBC gear on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »
Quote from: "Ganef"
... or 42R9G (like airsofter1).

Hey man!  It was 11H, and the "H" stands for hero.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »

Offline KILO 42

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 10:44:31 PM »
Quote from: "Airsofter1"
... or 42R9G (like airsofter1).

Hey man!  It was 11H, and the "H" stands for hero.

I thought it stood for HOMO!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by KILO 42 »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 10:53:44 AM »
Gotta walk before we can run.

I do admit that NBC training has relevancy to our current situation, but to do it properly would take a lot of money. The most recent NBC atacks using chlorine gas in VBIEDs realy didnt have much gun fighting involved, and I dont play airsoft to be some 74D or 42R9G (like airsofter1).

BH proved that we need to focus more on organization, weapon placement and use of heavy weapons. And get better at this, than jumping to fighting with NBC gear on.

I don't see using NBC equipment as a progression of the sport in any way.  It's merely a bit of variety, like the Matrix-themed game held in Tucson a while back.  If you're into that, do it.  

I don't see it being incorporated into games as much as medic rules, vehicular assets, or urban skirmishes, which have become an integrated part of how we play.

As for walking, I think we should start with weapon safety, basic weapon handling, individual skills, then squad based tactics and communication.

I still see guys running around with overloads of gear, 3-point slings, and no radio.  

I'm 100% in love with the idea of taking this hobby to the next phase of evolution.  Better player skills, incorporation of vehicles (which is happening thanks to guys like M996 and Ganef!) and teamwork is where I'd like to see it go.

Vince said it so eloquently a while back:
"I don't play airsoft to do some Sam Fisher Bullsh!t."  

I think one way we can make progress is by having "practices" with frequent pauses for critique by trained military folks rather than focusing on action alone.

I see a way to incorporate NBC into this, but not to the point of it becoming a regular event.  

David, how the hell did you know what a 74D was?  Even I had to look that one up :lol:  Our Co 74D went to Prop and Rotor while I went to NBC school to be the NBC alternate NCO.  In the army, it's funny what a guy will do just for a certificate or a t-shirt. :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline M996

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Airsoftchallenge.com
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 04:04:19 PM »
Wow!
you guys took the ball and ran out of the stadium with it.

My only goal was a bit of variety. As far as our events go, this is not going to be a normal thing. This was just a way to expand our horizons a little. Honestly I've never ran into a building in a NBC mask  with a gun trying to kill tangos before, but I thought it would add a little flavor/color to our regimen.

I do agree that we all( ecspecially myself) need to practice the basics but that doesn't mean we can't get a lil' crazy every once in a while.

If you have no interest then simply don't attend once we get this set up. It won't have any effect on you or your social standing if you don't attend.

If like me you want to see just how suck it is to have to chase down bad guys in a cramped enviroment all the while wearing the most god awful/uncomfortable piece of life saving gear invented then lets figure this out.

THIS IS NOT NBC TRAINING, I AM NOT A QUALIFIED NBC INSTRUCTOR
(but I can get one if you really want).

But this is Mil-Sim and this is what the people that are the basis and our examples do for a living so lets have a go at it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by M996 »
Chris Kahlert
www.MAC-V.com
www.Airsoftchallenge.com
 Phoenix, AZ  \"What is best in Life?\"  \"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.\"  \"That is good.\"

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
You're gonna have a lot of twisted ankles or worse if you use gas masks in any kind of "cluttered" enviroment, like Florence, say..

You can't see shit with one on, especially if it's fogged-up from breathing hard.

Chip
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mooncruiser »
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline M996

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Airsoftchallenge.com
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 07:09:44 PM »
Quote from: "Mooncruiser"
You're gonna have a lot of twisted ankles or worse if you use gas masks in any kind of "cluttered" enviroment, like Florence, say..

You can't see s*** with one on, especially if it's fogged-up from breathing hard.

Chip

If I can't locate a "clean" structure/wharehouse, I'm not gonna do this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by M996 »
Chris Kahlert
www.MAC-V.com
www.Airsoftchallenge.com
 Phoenix, AZ  \"What is best in Life?\"  \"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.\"  \"That is good.\"

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »
Location is not an issue. I'll fill you in Chris. We used smoke instead of CS. But we didn't use Gas Masks.

I can't wait until we break out full MOPP 4, J/K
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by stoneaglewolf »
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline Rolundo

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »
yes I have seen a gas mask in game (although I have never worn one during an OP).

usually the mask fogs up, gets in the way, makes it too difficult to see, or is just uncomfortable

so people will usually take it off after like a game or two
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Rolundo »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 02:21:57 AM »

I tried it last night just to see.

It wasn't that fun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu