Author Topic: GAS MASK?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline M996

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private First Class
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Airsoftchallenge.com
GAS MASK?
« on: November 04, 2007, 12:12:05 AM »
How many of you own or include a gas mask in your personal gear? How many have used one in a game?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by M996 »
Chris Kahlert
www.MAC-V.com
www.Airsoftchallenge.com
 Phoenix, AZ  \"What is best in Life?\"  \"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.\"  \"That is good.\"

Offline b166er

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:31:19 AM »
I have one bu the question is why the hell would i need it and the other question is what can i buy that would make someone else need one  :twisted:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by b166er »
Imagine what you could acomplish if you knew couldnt fail.

Rifleman Team Saguaro

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:40:34 AM »
I have a pro-mask. I don't recommend using it. Several reasons:

1.) You're not in an NBC environment.
2.) Poor field of view
3.) If anyone has ever worn a pro-mask and did excercise, you'll know it sucks. You can't breathe with a mask on like you would be able to normally. Its just a bad idea.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline M996

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:27:14 AM »
Quote from: "Firehead"
I have a pro-mask. I don't recommend using it. Several reasons:

1.) You're not in an NBC environment.
2.) Poor field of view
3.) If anyone has ever worn a pro-mask and did excercise, you'll know it sucks. You can't breathe with a mask on like you would be able to normally. Its just a bad idea.

I was actually thinking of an all mask game for those very reasons...
Chris Kahlert
www.MAC-V.com
www.Airsoftchallenge.com
 Phoenix, AZ  \"What is best in Life?\"  \"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.\"  \"That is good.\"

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:12:01 PM »
That is fine, with the exception of a fewthings. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but these are things you need to consider.

1.) At no point can anyone remove their mask during the game. You have nothing under it to provide eye protection.
By that standard...
2.) Everyone have a pro-mask with a drinking tube equiped
3.) Everyone needs to have at least one canteen capable of accepting a drinking tube. I believe there is also a hookup for the camelback valves that attach to a promask also.

It is also a little unfair to require pro-masks, as not everyone wants to go out and buy one, so they can suck ass in a simulated combat environment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
What Ian said.

If you're going to do this, it's got to be done right with CS or equivalent, which no one has access to.  Well, no one that would want to do this, anyway.  

Other than that, why?  Airsoft is supposed to be fun, not a recreation of everything that sucks about Army training.  :lol:

Honestly though, I'm always down to try new stuff.  I just happen to have a couple masks that I've collected over the years.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline M996

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 02:37:41 PM »
You're not raining on my parade. This is a forum where we discuss new ideas and point out the good or the bad. I'm grateful for feedback because it often highlights stuff i've overlooked.

Let me fill you in on my thoughts for this:
I was pondering the eye protection thing & mask donning/doffing. You're right that the masks would stay on until everyone exited, cleared and unloaded.
The game was gonna be CQB/ raid style but at no point will I use CS in a game... too much liability & potential of somebody getting screwed up for life for a "game". Beside I hate preforming CPR on a guy!

I was debating a kill house scenario where the participants raid a "safe house". they'd be in and back out in 20min +/- so the hydration thing is not a factor. This is a winter only option(I wouldn't ever ask anybody to don a mask here in the summer for training/game) also you'd hydrate before start and after you come out.

I only ask because while masks do suck, they are a very real part of that which we immitate. How many ways can you capture a flag? Besides we train as we fight right? Like the Israelis everybody should have a NBC mask. The sad truth is we don't even though we've had several biological attacks on US soil in the past decade. Remember the anthrax attacks (god only knows how many close calls we had that never made the headlines)? In Japan there were the sarin attacks in the subways. Life is not getting safer no matter what Homeland Security tells you.

Reqiring people to go out and buy them? No, this style scenario is only for the hardcore mil-simmer.

I'm looking at bringing new aspects to the game, stuff that hasn't been tried before. Yes, the good with the suck because sometimes its overcoming the suck that give you that warm feeling of accomplishment.

I do like the feedback, please keep it coming.
Chris Kahlert
www.MAC-V.com
www.Airsoftchallenge.com

Offline usafcajun

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
    • Black Company
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »
Well I know I have several that I've acquired over the years in the AF, mostly training masks.  I despised wearing the things during training but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to live in the RW.  I'd be up for cqb/shoothouse scenarios that utilize them for a different twist on the game.

Come on down to our event in January with a team and you're more than welcome to challenge yourself to run the scenarios like that.    :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by usafcajun »
USAFcajun
------------------------
** MCLMM **
 OP:Lion Claws VI  -  Tribe Longgrear

Offline KILO 42

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 05:31:50 PM »
Great idea Chris, you are thinking outside of the box. The scenario with the pro mask on is very unique, and hasn’t been tried yet.

Quote from: "Firehead"
It is also a little unfair to require pro-masks, as not everyone wants to go out and buy one, so they can suck ass in a simulated combat environment.

See that is the difference of putting on just a normal event and a Mil-Sim event. You have to up the stakes a little bit. For those who do not want to purchase a mask that’s fine, im guessing they will not be invited to attend. For those that want to go that extra mile and actually see what it feels like to do a DA S&S on a building, and clear it from top to bottom.

Quote from: "azsarge"
If you're going to do this, it's got to be done right with CS or equivalent, which no one has access to.  Well, no one that would want to do this, anyway.  

Some of us have PLENTY to let Chris have, and I would love to see people suck when they get it on their skin and cry like little girls :twisted:

Chris, let me know if you want to borrow some Pro masks, I have about 25 at my disposal.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by KILO 42 »

Offline Kurn

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 06:17:33 PM »
What kind of rating does the mask's lens have?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kurn »
Not dead yet.

Offline M996

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 08:21:33 PM »
My mask(MCU-2A/P) Has a 1/8th polycarbonate over lens that covers the clear rubber face piece. I'm not sure what the Army lenses of the M-40A1 are rated for but it wouldn't make sense to have fragile lenses on a piece of field gear that kill or injure you if comprimised.

a test shot would confirm really quickly if they are safe.

Again, I will not use CS gas in a game. My luck'd be that gung ho guy charging into the room is really a 34 yo asmatic who is not in the best shape of his life. Seconds after realizing his facial seal wasn't the best he decides to stop breathing and play dead. Not the kind of game any of us wants to see.

Again this is just an idea to advance mil-sim.

I'm also looking for a multi-storied structure in which to do this.

wearing masks in the field would suck ecspecially against a team that wasn't. CQB is the best option for testing this option.
Chris Kahlert
www.MAC-V.com
www.Airsoftchallenge.com

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »
I can think of one place to do this.
PM sent.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »

Offline seanm028

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 01:27:31 AM »
It might suck, but I like the twist.  I agree, you can only play capture the flag so many ways... It'd be nice to try a different approach.

I don't have a mask and probably can't afford one (unless Larada's has them cheap) but if someone wants to lend me one, and we got enough people interested, I'd probably participate.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by seanm028 »

Offline H.M. 1

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
hey
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 10:29:40 AM »
Ok.. now that people have voiced there opinions against the idea, lets take "us" military guys and do the senerio.. implement  some saftey concerns and we can have a awsome match.. even though i hated training with the masks, it brings to life the fact we live in a *terrorist* world and that anything at any time can ocurre..and adds to the realism of modern warfare.. if you are taking fire and have to don MOPP gear..thats not going to stop the fact you have to keep working so your ass dosent end up shot..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by H.M. 1 »
\"Bust Our Ass To Save Yours\" U.S. Navy Corpsman

Offline Kileyhaz

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: hey
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Quote from: "H.M. 1"
Ok.. now that people have voiced there opinions against the idea, lets take "us" military guys and do the senerio.. implement  some saftey concerns and we can have a awsome match.. even though i hated training with the masks, it brings to life the fact we live in a *terrorist* world and that anything at any time can ocurre..and adds to the realism of modern warfare.. if you are taking fire and have to don MOPP gear..thats not going to stop the fact you have to keep working so your ass dosent end up shot..

I'm not military and I'd be down for the extra challenge, I guess its different strokes for different folks...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kileyhaz »
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn\'t thinking"