Author Topic: BDU, ACU, etc...  (Read 2673 times)

Offline oiWicked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
BDU, ACU, etc...
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »
As a noob, im getting ready to jump into the sport, i want to know what BDU, is best as in, which color?

I was thinking for color, but obviously desert is best for down here, but what about the Big OPs like in Flagstaff?

Any help would be nice! Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline KOBO

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: BDU, ACU, etc...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:30:40 PM »
Most games are organized green versus tan then would take universal (ACU) and multicam and place on whatever side to even them out. I would suggest getting a set to fall into green and a set to fall into tan. Then you should be good to go. Worry about the other patterns once you get the basic patterns ready.

Offline oiWicked

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:30:37 PM »
So woodland and desert set would be best! Thanks!

Offline BeverlyTheNinja

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:27:17 PM »
In my epxerience that's all you'lle really need generally for out here, but its nice to try some other patterns after you've messed around with the basic patterns.

Offline NuclearRain2012

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://NuclearRain2012.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »
The picture you have shown is ABU's(Airforce Battle Uniform)
I say pick up Desert and Woodland MARPAT(MARine PATtern)

Primary- Classic Army M15A4
Secondary- Classic Army MP5 Tact.(Want to trade for a Sniper(CA24) or SR25, M15A4/SPR, CA25)

Offline TheBigBear

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »
Where is a good place to get MCCUU's without the EGA on the left breast pocket

Offline WRMorrison

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »
Quote from: "TheBigBear"
Where is a good place to get MCCUU's without the EGA on the left breast pocket

The closest I've seen that wasn't actually MARPAT is carried by most of the surplus stores (Larada's, Freedom Surplus, etc.).  The pattern is close, but there are a few differences.  I've never bought the knock-off blouse, but I did pick up a pair of trousers a while back.  I didn't really study them much, but I know they lack the elastic portion in the waistband and use the standard cotton/canvas with buckle adjustment like the previous utilities.  The color was close, but a bit lighter.

-WRM
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:21:20 PM by WRMorrison »
U.S.M.C. veteran
Member: NRA, ASRPA, AZCDL

Offline Sergeant First Class Keenan

• Sergeant Major
  • AZ Army National Guard - "Protecting What Matters"
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Army National Guard
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
also you can check out TRU-Spec, they have a Marine Diggies in the ACU cut. kinda cool. You may like them...... And I give you props for not wanting Marine Diggies with the EGA on them if your not a Marine.
Sergeant First Class Keenan
Marketing & Advertising Manager
AZ Army National Guard
Cell: (602) 377-6322

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 07:37:11 PM »
I have some Tru-Spec BDUs in digital desert.

Not bad, but, they also have their TRU (Tactical Response Uniform) in digital desert, which is a cut similar to the ACU, which is what Sergeant Keenan is talking about.

I have those in WC and I like them. They have treated me well. Didn't lose color when I pissed myself in them.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Bow-tie Assasin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:00:44 PM »
Quote from: "Vince"

Didn't lose color when I pissed myself in them.

I always have a separate camelback hooked up just for that problem.
"First There"
Never Quit!

Offline TheBigBear

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »
Quote from: "Malicious Ind"
also you can check out TRU-Spec, they have a Marine Diggies in the ACU cut. kinda cool. You may like them...... And I give you props for not wanting Marine Diggies with the EGA on them if your not a Marine.

I did a year in the marines, but would rather not use the real BDU's when playing Airsoft

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »
Quote from: "Malicious Ind"

I did a year in the marines, but would rather not use the real BDU's when playing Airsoft

If you earned it, why not?

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline TheBigBear

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »
Got medical discharged, dont feel like i deserve to be in it anymore. I know it wasnt my fault and all but still....just a personal thing

Offline WRMorrison

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »
Got medical discharged, dont feel like i deserve to be in it anymore. I know it wasnt my fault and all but still....just a personal thing

Fuck that, you EARNED that EGA.  Did you make it to the fleet or get discharged from SAC during MCT/SOI?

-WRM
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:21:41 PM by WRMorrison »
U.S.M.C. veteran

Offline WRMorrison

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 06:49:52 AM »
And the reason I say that is that I TOO was discharged after 1 year (11 months, 20 days to be exact).  I spent 6 months in boot with a (twice) broken foot and turned down a PEB discharge with 25% disability since they figured my foot would never heal correctly (and they were right).  Then, about a week before I graduated SOI we went on our last hump....  One minute I'm at the back of the column like always (being short sucks, you practically have to run the whole way due to the high-steppers in the front... ) and then next thing I know I'm in the back of a 2.5; evidently I had some sort of "mild heart attack" (or at least that's how it was explained to me).  I ended up getting medically discharged later with a service-connected 15% disability of "asthma w/allergic rhinitis"...whatever the hell that means.  Seems that you can't be a grunt with asthma, but didn't have enough TIS to do a lateral M.O.S. change to something else.  And due to the downsizing at the time (thanks Clinton  :roll: ), they were really looking for any excuse anyway.

After I got home, it was hard for me to hold my head up as a "broken Marine" since my ENTIRE FAMILY is made up of prior military (with the majority of them Marines).  But, not everyone is destined for the fleet.  I have countless memories that the majority of people will never experience and am extremely proud of what (little) I did.  I made the decision and past the test, I just didn't get a chance to use what I learned.  All in all, I don't know if I would have done anything differently, because if I hadn't gotten out when I did, I wouldn't have met my wonderful wife and have the son that I have today.

Sorry for being so long-winded (and I apologize for skewing off on this tangent, but I felt it was important and needed to be addressed), but you EARNED the right to hold your head up Marine, and wear that EGA with pride.  Trust me, they wouldn't have given it to you if you didn't deserve it.   ;)   It would be different if you were a sh!tbird who did his best to get out, but I really don't think that's the case.  You're already 99.9% ahead of the rest since you're openly admitting the truth.  At least you're not telling lies about how you single-handedly brought peace and stability to Somalia during your stint with 2nd Recon Bn... :roll:   No one can spot a fake Marine like the real thing... ;)  

-WRM

BTW (to stay on track), I was issued the old-style woodland BDU's, but a cousin of mine (GySgt currently toward the end of his 3rd deployment) sent me a new set of desert MARPAT utilities with my nametapes on them a few months ago and they are SO much better these days... :lol:   I'd highly recommend finding someone to get a genuine set or look around on eGay for them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:21:57 PM by WRMorrison »
U.S.M.C. veteran