Author Topic: Head/eye wear  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Rako

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Head/eye wear
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »
Hey,
I know this has been covered lots of times, but Id like some peoples opinions on eye/head gear.  I dont have a ton of money, so Id like to keep it cheap, but I dont want to compromise my vision.  I'd rather wear goggles or glasses than a full face mask, but I would be willing to get one.  Right now Im considering goggles or glasses and a shemagh to cover my neck and mouth.  Could you guys tell me what you think, and what you prefer?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline [NT]Saint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://taskforceaz.webs.com/
Re: Head/eye wear
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »
Goggles. Especially since you're a minor.

Offline Rako

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »
Okay.  And could I ask why?

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »
Goggles or full mask because a lot of places put higher safety restrictions on minors.

if you're going to use a shemagh, then you're going to have to spend more money if you don't want gigantic fogging issues.

Goggles offer better protection and fairly unrestricted field of vision, for what it's worth.

Also, find the cheap Arena Flakjaks (the slightly too light version that can be had for $20-$25 from many places) and you'll get fairly good goggles for a cheap price.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:17:43 PM by axisofoil »

Offline Rako

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
Even if i just used it to cover my neck, not my whole head?

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560727808
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »
Considering your a minor i would recommend a full face mask. I believe Fighter Town requires you to have a full face mask.
"Don\'t fire and correct! Fire correctly!" - ME

Offline Rogue Fox

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • First Lieutenant
  • 6CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:01 PM »
Ive owned just about every combo of eye/head gear with the exception of a helmet. I personally would say buy a shemagh even if you end up using something else, theyre cheap and always nice to have.

Now, I personally use rated sunglasses or arena flackjacks and a shemagh around my neck, If Im getting in close to people I can always pull the shemagh over my mouth and take it off once Im out of close quarters.

However since you are a minor I would have to agree with some of the posters above, alot of games around here will require you to wear a full face mask, so I would recommend picking one up for those games.

When the shit hits the fan, dont be in front of the fan.

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
Quote from: "Rogue Fox"
Ive owned just about every combo of eye/head gear with the exception of a helmet. I personally would say buy a shemagh even if you end up using something else, theyre cheap and always nice to have.

Now, I personally use rated sunglasses or arena flackjacks and a shemagh around my neck, If Im getting in close to people I can always pull the shemagh over my mouth and take it off once Im out of close quarters.

However since you are a minor I would have to agree with some of the posters above, alot of games around here will require you to wear a full face mask, so I would recommend picking one up for those games.

I agree with the shemagh. They are extremely handy to have. I personally like the condor multi wrap. They offer great thermal properties when its cold but still breath really well when its hot out and you in a close quarter situation. Plus it has less materials to it compared to the shemagh. I found the shemagh cumbersome and got in the way some times.

Offline I Slap Fat Kids

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
Yeah, the shemagh is one piece of head gear that you won't regret buying.  I personally use a shemagh, ESS Profiles, and either a helmet or hat every time.  I even use my shemagh when I go snowboarding.

Shirts tied around your head also work fairly well if you're wearing a helmet.

You definetly want to go with some ANSI z87.1+ rated eyewear.  ESS makes some really solid pieces, several of which are available at the Allied Surplus on Northern (they're only about $20 used).  Arena Flak-Jaks are also great goggles, as they were designed to fit the MICH style helmets.  However the Flak-Jaks are bulkier than ESS Profiles.

You may also want to look into a paintball or airsoft mask, because, as stated above, some places require minors to use them.

Oh, and to add about the fogging issues:  you won't have too much trouble if you have it wrapped right (even if it is around your entire head).  It may be a bit of a problem if you are going for a sniper role or if you don't move very frequently, as the lack of airflow will cause them to fog.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:50:12 PM by I Slap Fat Kids »
Replicas:

TM P90 red dot
SRC G36K with a CA AG-36
JG G36C
TM Hi-Capa M.R.P.
KJW MK II
WE HK 416
WE Hi-Capa Dragon
And a few friends\':

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »
I love Boles. I run a pair of X-500s because i have glasses. They NEVER fog on me.

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
I use a pair of bobster anti-fog glasses and a zan max baclava and they work well for me. the glasses are yellow lenses and sealed so most places will let you use them (never played at fighter town so not sure about them) the mask is nice becasue it offers the same protection (i personally think) as a full face mask but without the interference on the sights. I bought both of those items from airsoftgi.com for around 50$ as for head i wear a MARPAT boonie and it works well over the top of the mask. but for a minor i would have to agree with the rest of the people here the face mask would be best. cause ask theboy988 what can happen when you get nailed in the face their is a reason why his nickname is "Chip"
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu

Offline Whiskey11

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »
Important READ:  Pertains to ANSI Ratings and airsoft use:

http://forum.airsoftnebraska.com/index. ... 874.0.html

Yes it's long, yes it's a bit unrealistic, but better to be overly safe than sorry...  In terms of Goggles, Arena Flakjaks have served me well and survived my test set up.  The moral of that entire post is to find goggles or glasses that are properly rated.  ANSI z87.1 is NOT enough for our purposes, in rare cases those lenses can and probably will fail for our use.... Most shooting glasses are rated to only Z87.1 and not to Z87.1+ (that + is important!)

Offline I Slap Fat Kids

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Whiskey, that's very important.  I've only used ESS goggles and paintball masks, so I never really looked into it.

I've edited my earlier post to include that.
Replicas:

TM P90 red dot
SRC G36K with a CA AG-36
JG G36C
TM Hi-Capa M.R.P.
KJW MK II
WE HK 416
WE Hi-Capa Dragon
And a few friends\':

Offline steyraug223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »
I like the ESS goggles, especially if you have glasses as they are the only goggles I have found that fit well over prescription glasses. Also there is options for the ESS goggles to lock prescription glasses into place inside the goggles with a drop in kit.
The fecal matter just hit the spinning apparatus.

USN

Offline BeachsideCorpse

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
Quote from: "steyraug223"
I like the ESS goggles, especially if you have glasses as they are the only goggles I have found that fit well over prescription glasses. Also there is options for the ESS goggles to lock prescription glasses into place inside the goggles with a drop in kit.

Note: the prescription insert for the ess profiles also fits the ESS ICE NAROs or whatever they're called.

You'll spend between $110 and $130 for the frame+prescritpion alone.