Author Topic: How much gear is overkill?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Demlockian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private First Class
    • View Profile
How much gear is overkill?
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »
Hello everyone...simple question.  How much gear is to much?
(never played airsoft)

Is it best to just wear a basic camo uniform, vest, and helmet?
Or should one go with camo, vest, pads, helmet, and tactical boots?
(not actual load outs listed above, you get the idea)

I want to go with the proper gear but not show up highly over / under dressed.

*How can I bypass the verification image to post...that alone drives me nuts.

Offline bailey5671

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRedviper12?feature=mhum
Re: How much gear is overkill?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »
it all depends on what your playing, i personally would start off with a set of bdus (surplus store) and some sort of vest/ plate carrier, knee pads are a good thing for indoor games but not necessary, and some gloves would probably be good too
The Only Thing You Should Feel When Shooting Someone is Recoil...

Offline Rockit

• Master Sergeant
  • Wes The Rocketman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »
Do what you want. If you feel like a t-shirt and jeans, go for it. It's definately smart to protect yourself (i.e. good boots, long pants, gloves, boonie hat). Whatever keeps you mobile and is comfortable for you.* 

**my opinion
Harmful heat in my hugs hide,My lips are laced with cyanide
Never mind my medicine breath,Come hither for a kiss of Death...
Where there once were feely fingers, Now protrude poisonous stingers
Feel I'm left with no recourse,But to kill her with no remorse

Offline Terreus

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »
I own a CIRAS, a belt rig and a good 5 different set of uniforms. Depending on the AO or situation I'll wear different things. I'd say boots are the most important, because they're waterproof, comfortable and designed for use in sh*tty conditions. (also everyone laughs at the idiot in tennis shoes)

When I'm in a more milsim oriented game i'll wear a heavier loadout, but for fast paced games i'll just wear my belt rig and a tan/green/air-force T-shirt.

Oh and agreed on the gloves. Knuckle shots suck.
EA is the great Satan of gaming

Offline Rockit

• Master Sergeant
  • Wes The Rocketman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
Also, a dump pouch is pretty important. Either for dumping used mags or for misc. things.

Offline Revolution Airsoft

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »
Agreed on the gloves.  Hand shots are some of the most painful ones I've ever had
Nik Armitage

Offline Demlockian

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »
Thanks, I think I can figure out the gear from here.  I watched some airsoft videos to get a better idea also.

Next question I have...do they offer airsoft "training"?

I am 19, never played a combat sport, and a computer nerd.  Yes....I fix computers fourty hours a week..I don't get out much ;)

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
Whelp, I just dropped nearly $600 on gear this past weekend, I would say that counts as overkill.

Thanks, I think I can figure out the gear from here.  I watched some airsoft videos to get a better idea also.

I am 19, never played a combat sport, and a computer nerd.  Yes....I fix computers fourty hours a week..I don't get out much ;)

Don't worry, there are people from all walks of life who airsoft. In fact I just put in a 48 hour week doing the same stuff you do.

The best training out there is experience, and you get that by going to games. The more you play, the more you will figure out what works for you in terms of gear and play style.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:15:48 PM by deathbydanish »
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline vibora

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Corporal
  • Mile High Airsoft
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »
Gear "Essentials":

1. Good pair of supportive shoes.  They don't have to be steel toe or waterproof or anything, as long they support your ankles.  Newer combat boots are a great choice for their durability and comfort over long periods of time.  Don't cheap out on these or you will regret it!

2. Besides boots, eye protection is the most important thing on my list.  Get a good pair of goggles (or sunglasses for outdoor events) that are ANZI rated for real ballistic protection, so you never have to worry about them cracking or breaking on you.  I use Oakley SI Ballistic sunglasses for most games, and they are durable, comfortable, and very fog resistant.  Again, don't cheap out; the comfort and protection of the higher end stuff make them worth the higher price.

3. Vest or Chest Rig with pouches to hold mags, dead rags, radios, etc.  I've seen people load it all up on a belt for CQC, but for outdoors, I would highly recommend spreading it over a vest.  Make sure to get a dump pouch for expended mags.

4. Gloves with hard (or at least padded) knuckles.  You will thank us later; that is all.

5. Lastly, get some protection for your teeth.  Whatever you find comfortable to wear should be sufficient, but this does not mean cloth over your mouth!  Whether it be a paintball mask, mesh lower face mask, or a football mouthguard, make sure you have something hard between a BB and your teeth.  I just had over $1000 of work done to replace a tooth after it was shot out in a game; it's not worth it.

Outside of this list, you can get whatever you want.  There is no "overdressed" in airsoft. ;D

Offline Terreus

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »

5. Lastly, get some protection for your teeth.  Whatever you find comfortable to wear should be sufficient, but this does not mean cloth over your mouth!  Whether it be a paintball mask, mesh lower face mask, or a football mouthguard, make sure you have something hard between a BB and your teeth.  I just had over $1000 of work done to replace a tooth after it was shot out in a game; it's not worth it.

Yes, this is Vibora, rockin' the "hillbilly"
EA is the great Satan of gaming

Offline gunny77

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
I carry a very simple load out. I wear woodland camo bdu's a woodland camo bdu jacket and a tan vest. Sometimea I carry a m9 in a leg rig but usually carry 6 hi caps and 6 mid caps in my vest. Very simple very easy Plenty of ammo. Super ligjt easy to move. But do whatever u want get creative with it
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
No man is more free then the one who doesnt give a damn what society thinks about him

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
The wearing of gear will make more sense as you play. BDUs however are more for identification or sides in a game than for anything else.

If you wear gear to look cool but it serves no function, you are doing it wrong.

Knee pads make sense in a lot of terrain to save yourself from digging cholla thorns out of your patella after taking a knee on a cactus, and I remember it saved someone from an empty shell casing on a MOUT site. They do however tend to restrict movement and get hot.

I wear just under enough of what I think I need at a game.

Also, read this:
http://www.airsoftarizona.com/index.php?topic=10679.0
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Archer

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »

http://www.airsoftarizona.com/index.php?topic=10679.0

WOW!!! that was a very informative post. i have been trying to decide on what rig to run as well. most my team wears setups that are like 50-60lbs. im just not in good enough shape to run a rig like that for 3-4 hours. so i'm going to try some of the tiems talked about in the post and see how i do. thanks again for the info!!!!
Team A.D.M.

Offline Exarach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 11:00:28 PM »
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline Rockit

• Master Sergeant
  • Wes The Rocketman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:06 AM »

Marauders offers tactical training classes.