Author Topic: Custom RPK... Not a kit  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Dust2Dust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
Custom RPK... Not a kit
« on: February 11, 2005, 09:50:01 PM »
Who said you have to spend $500 to get an RPK kit???
Large File: http://www.mcdowellairsoft.com/Guns/DSC00357.zip
Note: The tape is holding the grip in place while it dries so it doesn't lose it's position, because the lower handguard is from a real one.  And the barrel will be painted black shortly.

The outer barrel is made from aircraft grade aluminum, and formed to shape with a CNC machine...  The inner barrel is steel.  I know it doesn't look like much now, but the fact that I didn't pay some overseas company $500+ to get an RPK kit, makes me happy.

The guy who made the outer barrel, inner barrel, some screws, and in the process of making the AK-47S metal body, used to work for NASA and owns a machine shop.  So I'll be having custom length inner barrels for AEGs, possibly APS-2, VSR-10, and pistols...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Dust2Dust »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »
Im still downloading the freakin zip file. Get some webspace man!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 10:18:48 PM »
Hahahaha, i have 4 gigs of webspace, and my bandwidth has gone down to about 2 gigs... it'll be reset on the 13th.  532 people viewed last month :D

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 01:46:39 AM »
6061 aluminum?  Was it extruded prior to milling?  Just curious, because that might be a bit soft unless you treat it.

That's really cool though!  I'm definitely interested in a steel inner barrel.  What kind of steel would be used exactly?

What would be really cool is a one piece barrel, made of steel, that has a 6.03mm inner diameter so as to eliminate the need for an inner barrel altogether.  You would have to rework the hopup unit, but if this guy worked for NASA, I'm sure he could figure that out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 03:37:09 AM »
AZsarge, you just said, what I've been trying to make for a while.  There'd be a problem with that though, if anything ever happened to that barrel, you'd be in big trouble.  But, I'll get on the phone with him and see what he can do.  6.03mm... I'm not sure I'd go that tight though, I've heard horror stories about them way too much.  I could do a 6.035-6.038mm I'm sure...
The aluminum is supposed to withstand  a lot of stress, and is quite strong.  I believe it was treated.

Oh well, if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 04:07:33 AM »
Scrap it! jk.

-EDIT: There was more to this message I guess it just got cut off.. Notice the time stamp? 4:07AM

Well the RPK concept is cool. Put a full stock on it, get a drum mag, get an IDF sling and get a matte powder coat on all the black parts. But the bad thing about custom guns like these is, no matter how good you build it, when it breaks down, you be $%@Ded! Unless you carry a bunch of spare parts with you and there easily changed. Keep that in mind when building a project like that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 12:55:57 PM by busta_cap »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 08:06:32 AM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
Scrap it!

You're rude! :x

Anyway Dust, I think the dimensions you mentioned would be ok.  Raith mentioned something to me awhile ago that I thought was interesting, and I think it is possible now.  He described a hopup unit at the END of the barrel, with a set screw or something for adjustment.  That way, the BB is steady until it reaches the end of the barrel, where only slight pressure from above is needed to send it into a backspin.  I'm not sure if it's been done before, or if it would even work, but it sounds to me like it might be better.  

The only problem with this is that the BB would have nothing to keep it at the rear of the barrel before it's fired.  Then again, when the hopup is off, an AEG will still function.  I think this is because it (the BB) is held down by the nozzle, but I am not sure.

Would it be reasonable for this fellow to make a simple RIS/RAS?  If so, how much do you imagining it costing?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 09:13:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure he could, He'd just need the CAD file for one and he could punch one out quick, or if you have a plastic one, I'll fedex it to him and see what he can do.  I'd guess if it's from scratch, about 1-2 weeks depending on how much other business he has (he does parts for everything), and maybe... $30? I'd have to see, I'll drop a line tonight.

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 09:21:29 AM »
All you need is the RPK stock. Go to a gunshow, see what you can find. Hell, you can make one yourself if you are good with wood or something(or wanna make your own outta something). I sure hope your gunna paint that barrel :P. Is the lower a metal reciever? I need a folding stock for an AK, and i'll take it off your hands when you get the full stock for your RPK. Get a drum for that sucker too. Overall i think it looks nice, just a few little things here and there, and you're ready to rock.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 10:08:09 AM »
I'm building a drum mag from a real one, It shouldn't be too expensive.  And I'm making it an RPK-S, the stock is going to fold to the side.  
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
It's something I haven't seen done yet, so I figured why not give it a whirl.

Trapper Industries sells a kit... it's cheaper than the Guarder one too.  Just if anyone was curious where I got the idea. http://www.trapperindustries.com/airsoft/page6.html

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 12:42:43 PM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
Scrap it!

Yeah, rude. Just don't comment in threads you don't like.. but then you'd probly still be ranked under ten posts.

And the RPK is cool.. just my suggestions are for a better put together grip and, are you gonna paint the body to a matching piece?. How about mentioning the internal upgrades, or did you do that already and me not see?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 01:39:12 PM »
Eh, upgrades aren't done yet, I just need a new motor and highspeed gears and I'm set, everything else is upgraded.

I'm painting the entire body over.  I'm either gonna have it all black, or have a woodland/tiger stripe camo pattern.  If anyone has any ideas, post...   I'm tapped out at the moment lol.

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 01:40:55 PM »
I have an idea!

.. black.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »
Dont paint a custom gun. Thats just stupid. Leave it the colors the real deal is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline Long Trang

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 01:47:41 PM »
Black would look good.  I was gonna say if the grips were real you could sand them down and refinish them, but only the lower is real.

Unless you could some how keep the wood finish, original look is always the best.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Long Trang »