Author Topic: Safariland 6004  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Cheeze_IZ_G00d

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Safariland 6004
« on: June 19, 2005, 11:05:38 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knew of any type of review of this holster. I am thinking about getting one, but I would like to hear some first-hand experience before I spend 100 bucks. Please, post your personal experiences with this item, both positive and negative would be much appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Cheeze_IZ_G00d »
Visit my website -
http://www.iwantafreedollarnow.com!!!

Get great ringtones here!

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 11:21:07 AM »
I own one...and I love it(despite the fact i'm getting rid of it). I really don't know what to say besides the fact that its great. Its comfortable to have, it doesn't move(when properly fitted). It does a good job of retaining the weapon without the thumbreak in place. The system to push the thumbreak down is great. Good gun overall. Diamondback Tactical sells them for 85 I think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline Cheeze_IZ_G00d

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 11:28:08 AM »
Does the fact that it is rigid affect your mobility at all? Oh, and how does it attach to the pistol belt? Is it a velcro type thing or does it snap/buckle?
Visit my website -

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
Quote from: "Cheeze_IZ_G00d"
Does the fact that it is rigid affect your mobility at all? Oh, and how does it attach to the pistol belt? Is it a velcro type thing or does it snap/buckle?

The rigidness does NOT affect mobility from what I've noticed. It attaches with a strap(which you put the belt through). It uses velcro to hold the strap together. For the legstraps its a rubbery material in combination with buckles.

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 11:43:01 AM »
The good far outweighs the bad, so lets talk about the few downsides (My opinions):

- For the most part, with most models, they're huge in comparison to most other holsters.  They stick out farther than most and you can snag the holster on stuff as you pass.  This can be alleviated by becoming used to it and compensating for the added mass.

- Its hard to roll across any holster, but its particularly hard to roll across a 6004.  Same reasons as above, basically.

- Price and availability can be a downside.

- The SLS Mechanism can get dirty, it can reduce the performance of the holster.  I've had mine full of dirt and while it didn't stop working, it did become very sluggish and required more effort to move.  Its not an outright problem, per se, and mine seemed to always work again after cleaning it, but one of the principle advantages of a 6004 is it's speed, and having the hood stick can reduce that.

- Backwards ass velcro arrangement.  This is minor, but the velcro on the hangar has the hook velcro facing in, so it never seemed to interface with whatever belt I was wearing.  Perhaps Safariland belts have hook velcro on the inside of their belts instead of pile like everyone else's.

- The leg straps.  Some like them, I don't.  My favority straps are the 2" Eagle or Blackhawk style, with the impregnated rubber.

---

In retrospect, I wrote a lot about it.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the holster and I think they're among the better holsters available.  There is no perfect item, though.

Some upsides-

- It stays in the same place.  When you reach for your secondary, its there, where you put it.

- Very difficult to accidentally activate the magazine release.  On certain firearms, (Specifically HK and Glock models) certain holsters have a tendancy to press the magazine release or allow something you're leaning on to push the release.

- SLS hood is fast.

- Additional mounting points could be an advantage to some.  I don't like putting pistol magazines on the strong side, but I've never had to do a shield guy reload, either.

- Protects the gun more than other holsters.

---

HTH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 11:50:05 AM »
Raith, I gotta disagree about the dirty part. Mine has been covered in dirt and crap when I rolled on my side(kind of annoying, but can be done) and it performed the same as it always does for me. For the most part, you made some good points.

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 12:10:25 PM »
You haven't had your that long though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 01:41:10 PM »
I have 3 of them. I use one for all of my training and such with my Glock (the real one). I also have one for my Airsoft M9, and have one in black from when I had an issue M9 in the army.

I have carried and used this holster in very seroius training classes, (gunsite for one) and in real world operations and I wouldn't consider carying any other tactical holster. In the years and years of use I have never had a failure of any kind in the holster.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lightning_Man »

It is what we do,
when we believe we can do no more\' that makes us who we are.

Offline TimW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.practicaltactical.net
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 08:50:21 PM »
What weapon? I have one or two in stock.

As for DBT selling them for 85? That'd be interesting, especially since my cost of them is now over $100.  Safariland had a 23% increast from last year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TimW »
TimW
Phoenix

Practical Tactical Tough Life. Tougher Gear.  Assaultvest.com

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 10:04:19 PM »
Quote from: "TimW"

As for DBT selling them for 85? That'd be interesting, especially since my cost of them is now over $100.  Safariland had a 23% increast from last year.
Yep, mine was something like 94 in change after tax, it was a black, with space for a IT m3(not X).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline Cheeze_IZ_G00d

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 10:12:07 PM »
Quote from: "TimW"

It will be for a KJW M9. And yes, DBT has it listed as 85 on their site. However, if Practical Tactical and DBT want to get into a price war, many airsofters would be very excited :P.
Visit my website -

Offline TimW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005, 10:23:04 PM »
Aint' gonna happen. If they want to sell them for that much, cool.  and a great bargain for the buyer.  Once they run out of inventory, it wouldn't surprise me to see their price rise.
TimW
Phoenix

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 10:31:32 PM »
Now, lets not miss the most important thing..

HSGI's holster (which can come in MultiCam) can fit the Safariland 6004 holsters. I would get one, but.. two holsters to be used as one.. nah, my m12 will do the job. But, it's not MC.. sad, sad story.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

Offline TimW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 10:39:43 PM »
You're talking about the UDHP (Univ Drop Holster Platform).  It's the best thing short of a G-Code, but you ahve to buy two holsters...the UDHP and the 6004.

I've got one in Khaki available if a buyer backs out.....they're $80

Quote from: "studdermonkey"
Now, lets not miss the most important thing..

HSGI's holster (which can come in MultiCam) can fit the Safariland 6004 holsters. I would get one, but.. two holsters to be used as one.. nah, my m12 will do the job. But, it's not MC.. sad, sad story.
TimW
Phoenix

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 11:55:02 PM »
I've had mine for about a little less than 2 years now and I still love it.

I wrote up a small review of my initial impressions when I bought it.  A search should reveal it here somewhere.

With regards to the hood becoming sluggish, it does.  Like any other mechanical device, it operates best when clean and lubricated properly.  Mine was particularly rough and had a kind of grinding feel/sound to it so I took it all apart, cleaned it with mineral spirits, and lubricated it with some teflon lube of Airsofter1's.  Molybdenum grease would work well too.  Try to avoid low viscosity lubricants like wd40, spray silicon, or other light oils since they will just collect dirt.  Stick with greases that will stay put and use just a small ammount.

Raith, right on about the 6004 not rolling well.  But I have to say that I've never rolled at a game, and I doubt you've ever done it either.  It's ability to deal with a roll is definitely worth commenting on, but funny nonetheless.

I like the straps.

It's missing a side-release buckle on the top of the vertical strap, but that can be easily added for ease of attachment without having to take your belt halfway off.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »