Author Topic: FIRE!!!!!  (Read 2261 times)

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
FIRE!!!!!
« on: June 22, 2005, 09:37:09 PM »
Dudes dont know if you watch the news but there is a friggin big ass Fire just a few minutes north of me. I live in Cave Creek but far enough south not to be harmed. I am currently watching the Fire from my back porch!!!

Peace Out!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 09:49:29 PM »
Yeah, I think I can see the glow from it from my house. Theres some lightning though so I might be confusing them. Was it started by lightning?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 09:51:46 PM »
My friends live up in Desert Moutain just east of where Pima ends.  They may wind up here tonight.

Probably started by a cigarette.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Dust2Dust »

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:14:14 PM »
We have one out near Roosevelt, too.

Most all caused by lightning from the storms last night.

For large fire info;
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/fire/swainfo/swainfo.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mooncruiser »
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 10:20:26 PM »
Quote from: "Mooncruiser"
We have one out near Roosevelt, too.

Most all caused by lightning from the storms last night.

For large fire info;
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/fire/swainfo/swainfo.htm

They are saying that the two may become one later in the night. But of course fox news sucks!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline Mooncruiser

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 10:36:16 PM »
All the Valley's news twinkies suck.

Look at the wildfire sites and wind data. High winds are the firefighter's bane.

If the winds stay calm, they'll contain these soon. Here's the most accurate winds forcast for Deer Valley Airport, should cover the fire area mostly, too..

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code ... t+Forecast
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »
Ya, it's pretty windy over where I am. Yep...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 12:38:53 AM »
Weather definatly isnt helping it.

For those that care, in a large valley like ours here, from what I'm told, the wind shifts, once a day. My memory isnt working great right now, but in the morning I belive the wind is blowing from the west?? (someone correct me) and in the afternoon it shifts, shifting the fire. I dont know about the land out there, but it cant be as deep as up north.

Last I heard there were 2 that merged?? Anyone got any more information?

They flying in the planes yet?  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by HavHav »

Offline Mooncruiser

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 12:54:29 AM »
The bad news is "dry" lightning tonight.

I just got back from the fire line of the "Three" fire. It's jumped hwy 188 and is threatning the Cholla Bay Campground area next to Roosevelt Lake. Lightning everywhere tonight.

Chip

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

FLASHinAZ

fires
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 12:58:37 AM »
I have to think that in light of the known dangers of dry weeds and such, why the hell doesnt the forestry service and the firefighters go in and cut and remove the weeds before the get to the dry fire danger point?
It seems to me that far less man hours, costs, and destruction could be found, by simply going into certain areas, and if nothing else cutting fire block lines-BEFORE thing get to burning time?

However it sure makes for a nice glow huh?
This lightning tonight aint gonna help much, I bet there will be several new fires come the morning light.

Only in Arizona!

FLASH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by FLASHinAZ »

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: fires
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 01:07:57 AM »
Quote from: "FLASHinAZ"
I have to think that in light of the known dangers of dry weeds and such, why the hell doesnt the forestry service and the firefighters go in and cut and remove the weeds before the get to the dry fire danger point?
It seems to me that far less man hours, costs, and destruction could be found, by simply going into certain areas, and if nothing else cutting fire block lines-BEFORE thing get to burning time?

FLASH

You know how much they have to pay wildland firefighters for doing what they do. Apperantly its more of a 'When It Happens' than a 'Before It Occurs' type deal. Every hour they are on the fire line, they are making double their normal rate of around $14 an hour.

Hell, its good money. Get on with BLM and you could be making pretty good money. I know thats one of the few reasons I'm getting my 130/190 card.

That, and theres just too much brush. Drive down the highway and look. If they were to just take a dozer and clear maybe 30ft on each side of the road down to the dirt, i doubt it would be as big of a problem. Then again, with this lightening, you have to expect it.

Winds pick up the embers and carry them towards unburned areas, where the wind is blowing half the time. Even the best fire line wont stop lightening, spot fires, and embers.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 01:13:01 AM »
At least in the case of the Three fire, the point of origin is waaaay back in the forest. There were mltiple fires started by lightning, and nobody can predict where they'll start.

With the millions of acres in Ariz, it's just not possible to clear all the fuel away. The F.S., to their credit.. Have been burning brush near the major roads around here.

At least this fire wasn't started by some pinhead who doesn't know what an ashtray is for.

To answer an earlier question, Yes, the winds change frequently this time of year. Usually out my way, we get a 50mph blast in the afternoon heralding a cumulonimbus nearby. Sometimes wildfires make their own weather. This afternoon I watched as the heat rose from the fire and created it's own storm cloud above. I've seen fires that generate winds as high as 100+ mph down a canyon.

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 01:37:07 AM »
Yeah, to me, thats something I havnt been able to see first hand. Gotta love it when a wildfire spawns its own lightening storm. I saw video of a dust devil sized, well, a tornado that was made out of fire. Thats how weird the wind gets on these fires.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 12:40:23 PM »
We might get called out to drop on that fire if it doesn't die down a bit.

I'm going out of town tomorrow so I'll miss the flight if they do, but if you see some Blackhawks dropping water on the news - their ours.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline woody

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
blackhawks
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 06:29:46 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
We might get called out to drop on that fire if it doesn't die down a bit.

I'm going out of town tomorrow so I'll miss the flight if they do, but if you see some Blackhawks dropping water on the news - their ours.

Yep they're out there, Christian, just saw them on the news. Go Guard!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by woody »