Author Topic: Is sniping even worth it?  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Twitchy Konigkeit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ahwatac
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 08:24:36 AM »
well to be a good sniper i would have to say you need lots of experience. start with an AEG, i've seen people who have started with sniper rifles, and it don't really work well.  the sport of airsoft changes a lot when you snipe. there are distance rules, and when and when not to shoot, and you will be doing a lot of not movn' prolly, (which i can't stand! and my luv of LMG's built up) also you'll prolly get few kills, apposed to an AEG. again you will have to drop some good money for a good rifle, i mean i know people who kick ass with a stock bolt action rifle, and the Ghuille suit is always a plus! but take the sniper role when you get a lot of experience and you know that your dedicated enough to the sport i would personally suggest.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Twitchy Konigkeit »

Offline Fish

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 06:23:48 PM »
Quote from: "SilentDragon"
Yeah... get an AEG... cuz airsoft is so much fun when you can go FULL AUTO!!!...

I do like sniping however... and decided to turn my AK into what i call, and "Anti-Sniper" rifle.  It is fitted with a scope, shoots about 330fps using 0.25g BBs, and has a tightbore barrel for accuracy.  Its' range is good... as well as accuracy.  And the ability to still go full auto makes this my ideal weapon.

-Art

Sorry for getting off topic but I have been wanting to ask you,  Is that a wood kit and  on your gun?  :?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Fish »
\"If at first you don\'t succeed, skydiving definitely is not for you. \"

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »
No
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Fish

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 06:55:17 PM »
Looks like wood in that picture... okay sorry back on topic...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Fish »
\"If at first you don\'t succeed, skydiving definitely is not for you. \"

Offline SilentDragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 07:04:34 PM »
It's plastic... that is supposed to look like wood.  That's why it looks like wood...

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SilentDragon »

Saguaro Team Leader
LCVI, LCVII, LCX, LCXI, Balkan Hammer I/II, Red Dagger II, Cold Burn II. AA Vet

Offline Ice_Man_316

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 01:15:28 PM »
iv'e acctually got the plans on the drawing board right now for a upgraded G3SG1 that is going to be my "sniper" rifle.  Ide say an AEG sniper rifle is your best bet, you could even throw down some serous cash and get a TM PSG1.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ice_Man_316 »
Rally around the family, with a pocket full of shells!

Shadow Hide You.

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 10:54:55 PM »
My Dad carries an M700. He started out with AEG's. He went through an MP5 and an uber upgraded M16 that was SUPPOSED to double as a sniper rifle. But, as fate would have it, my dad is incredibly picky when it comes to accuracy and he can't settle for anything less than....well...perfect.

So he bought himself an M700. Downgraded it a bit on the gas flow to have it shooting within regs, uberupgraded and fintuned the hopup and barrel adjustment and....well let's just say people are really starting to regret poking their heads over the tops of rocks now.

He's not the patient type one who likes to camp out for a half hour waiting to for someone to come by. But he is a crack shot, so instead of being a sniper for me and my squad mates, he's more of a "designated marksman" that is excpected to be able to take quick and fast shots with very little error margin. THe fact that he's using a sniper rifle only gives him the upper hand. He's more the stalker/support type, which is more typical of someone with a good AEG, but, in his case, he'd rather shoot one good shot that he knows will hit, than spray a cloud that only has a chance of hitting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline Maidrowl

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 10:11:34 AM »
I have an SRC SR-16 with a scope and a tightbore barrel on it that i use as my main gun. Its fairly accurate and rather powerful. Shoots bout 330 wit .28's. I like the full-auto capabilites and thats what i would recomend for most airsoft players. If, however, u honestly enjoy sniping(and ur a good shot) then it is totally worth it. Airsoft, after all, is still a game and games are meant to be fun. Start first with an aeg like the G3SG-1 or an SR-16. That way if you really want to go sniper after u get some xp, it wont be too hard to upgrade ur gun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Maidrowl »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 01:58:03 PM »
Vince has a killer M14 that would be perfect for a sniper weapon.  Good range, compact (compared to a PSG-1).

Patience is what makes a good sniper, Gixser and Farslayer track people, wait for their opportunity to take a shot without giving away their position.  I remember Benn in a tree nailing a couple people with a non-sniper weapon, tactics make the sniper not the weapon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline Comrade Commissar

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »
Quote from: "andyhinds"
, tactics make the sniper not the weapon.

Thats true for any role too, not just sniping...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Comrade Commissar »
Present - Dboy Spr mod0, upgraded. Dboy Ak74, Stock. Hfc chrome Revolver, short
Past - CA Slr105, KWC 1911 Caspian, TM mp5sd6

Offline Bow-tie Assasin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 04:25:15 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a M16 VN and having redwolf customize it to 450 fps, plus 6.03 tightbore and use that as a sniper. Since the aeg limit is 400 i'll have to use semi only correct?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Bow-tie Assasin »
"First There"
Never Quit!

Offline warlock

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.warl0k.com
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 04:56:23 PM »
Quote from: "Bow-tie Assasin"
I'm thinking about getting a M16 VN and having redwolf customize it to 450 fps, plus 6.03 tightbore and use that as a sniper. Since the aeg limit is 400 i'll have to use semi only correct?

As I understand it, the weapon can only have a semi-auto mode, as in you have to make it physically impossible to flip over to full auto.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by warlock »
Team OPFOR
FPS Limits are restrictions, not goals!
Op Organizer
Lead, Follow, or get the **** outta my way!

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 05:01:38 PM »
You can disable the full auto in the gearbox or pin the gearbox so only Semi can be used.

And I must add, Just by you asking the question is Sniping worth it shows me a lack of patents, Read up, You have a world full of Knowledge at your finger tips
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:32:56 PM by gixser13 »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »
I have alot of respect for the people who actually do the sniper role in airsoft. I did it briefly and not only does it require money but alot of patience. It's not true you wont get kills though..i racked up over a dozen in my first game and scared the shit out of everyone with .43g's.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 12:18:03 PM »
*Over the radios constantly* "We've got an 8 mili on the field...We'ves gots an 8 mili on da field!!!"  "LOBO, SHUT THE FUCK UP!" :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Dust2Dust »